The drink originated back in the 17th century by a professor of medicine, Franciscus Sylvius in Holland, who wanted to make an inexpensive medicinal drink with the properties of juniper berries. The word is derived from the Dutch word “Genever,” a word for Juniper berries. These juniper berries are one of the main ingredients. Today, there are various types of Gin available in the market. It is a distilled alcoholic drink that must include an intense aroma and flavour. Gin was produced by infusing a grain spirit that is neutral with other botanical ingredients and juniper berries.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF THE DRINKS IN THE MARKET
Several types are available in the market with different flavours and qualities that are made using techniques. Some types are:
- The distilled drink is made by distilling an alcoholic fermented grain base of wheat or barley. Later, different botanicals are added and water to obtain the desired flavour.
- Redistilled – This drink is produced by redistillation of the distilled neutral spirits with the dried or fresh juniper berries or over juniper berries to get the desired flavour.
- Compound – This type is cheaper and not very common. In the making of a combination, the distilled neutral spirit is mixed with the extract of juniper berries.
DIFFERENT STYLES OF THE DRINK
Apart from the above three classifications of Gin, there are several styles of making the drink. These different and unique styles add a signature flavour.
- The London Dry – London dry is one of the drink’s most authentic and traditional styles. In this type, no artificial ingredients are used. This drink is infused with botanical flavours through redistillation. No other flavour or any colour can be added after the process of distillation is done. The dominant flavour is of the juniper berries. It is dry and highly aromatic.
- New Western Dry – New Western Dry is a dry drink with all its properties. It is a type of modern drink and a less-dominant flavour of juniper berries. The dominating flavour in this style of Gin is of the botanicals.
- Plymouth – Plymouth originated on the shores of Plymouth (English Channel). This style of the drink is generally lighter and has a more significant citrus flavour.
BENEFITS OF THE DRINK
Gin is a low-calorie drink. Generally, the glass has no saturated fats, sugar, or carbohydrates. The spirit of the glass also has many health benefits. It was initially invented as a medicinal drink. In a 100g of drink, there is only approx. Two hundred sixty calories, making it a low-calorie drink. Some of the proven health benefits of the glass are as follows:
- Helps digestion – Bloating and gastric issues are generally related to alcoholic drinks. However, the botanicals used in the glass contain herbs that are beneficial for stomach health. Besides, juniper berries act as natural diuretics.
- A good option for diabetic people – Doctors suggest diabetic people stay away from alcohol due to their added sugar. On the other hand, this type of drink is a sugar-free drink.
The drink contains a variety of botanicals, some of the common botanicals used in making Gin are orris root, lemon peel, liquorice, and cassia. Some gin even uses coriander and basil leaves as botanicals. These botanicals make it a healthier option for people.