External factors can influence construction work in many ways. As such, weather conditions in the region can hinder the progress of the construction project, and that’s why they are considered crucial factors. From equipment damage to delays and safety risks, unprecedented weather conditions can affect the construction project.
So, weather measuring instruments can help proceed with the construction work efficiently. The weather can also result in severe accidents, so you can’t ignore weather monitoring in every construction stage. Meanwhile, most construction companies plan their projects depending on the weather forecast. However, weather forecasts offer general information for the region, which is not as helpful as weather monitoring in specific areas. As such, it is essential to check how weather conditions affect your construction project.
Weather-Related Situations That Can Affect Your Construction Work
Ground temperature is a huge concern in the coldest seasons of the year, as freezing temperatures make specific tasks like excavation and concrete laying difficult. The concrete installation process is hindered by cold weather as cement hydration requires heat and is not attainable in cold weather. As such, the durability of concrete is questionable when it is installed at low temperatures. Besides this, cold weather necessitates the construction workers to wear heavy clothing, which limits their movement and eventually delays their productivity.
Similarly, people working in hot weather may encounter dehydration and sunstroke. High temperatures can result in accidents due to nausea or heavy machinery operation. And when it rains, the visibility is low at the construction sites, and it is also difficult for the workers to handle heavy equipment. As such, rainy weather can completely slow down the progress of construction work.
Benefits of Using Instruments to Measure Weather Conditions
Monitoring weather condition is one of the crucial tasks in construction projects as an abrupt gust of wind can also suspend the work. And with the weather measuring instruments, it will be easier to prevent conflicts between contractors and project owners.
Contractors who miss deadlines might face hefty fines, and valid reasons can only justify the delay. As such, it might be challenging to quote harsh weather as a reason for project delay, as contractors have to submit the proof. And investing in a weather monitoring instrument with data storage can help you keep track of the weather conditions.
Choose the Instruments for Your Construction Project
- Weather monitoring doesn’t require contractors to set up an expensive weather station on the project site. You can invest in compact systems specially designed for the construction business.
- When selecting a weather forecast instrument, consider buying devices with waterproof, impact resistance, corrosion-proof and dust-tight features. Moreover, project managers should have continuous access to check the weather data.
- Ensure you invest in a weather measurement system that allows easy data retrieval. Some devices provide automatic notifications about sudden weather changes, and it will be helpful for the contractors to reschedule construction activities if they are informed about the weather change.
- Though you can invest in weather monitoring systems, planning the construction project based on the seasons is vital. And when it comes to construction sites, three types of weather data, including historical data, weather forecasts, and direct measurements from weather monitoring instruments, are way too crucial.
- Ignoring weather conditions during a construction project may hinder the work, and the current work can deteriorate. Moreover, you are putting construction workers at risk as this way; accidents steadily increase in the construction sites.
Weather risks in construction projects are primarily associated with wind, but it is essential to keep track of other factors as well. Whether it is hot or cold, extreme temperatures are hazardous to the workers and restrict the crew members’ movements. As such, a weather monitoring instrument will be helpful in construction management, so consider investing in quality devices from reputed dealers.